After assisting some break out session and make some research after the VMworld, here are some key points to be taken in consideration for this year until the next year VMworld announcement:
– NSX is complement of other VMware products/feature (VMware is pushing for SDN)
- Micro segmentation and advance of it (Per VM management without the need of multiple Firewall)
- Stretch cluster with NSX, helping you to have a single L2 site
– vRealize for solution management/health/sizing and scale
- VMware is pushing everything to vRealize and most of the product can be managed by it, this is the director management on VMware scale view.
- Some of the new features are automated workload placement and re-balancing in order to optimize performance, new reporting options and collection and usage statistics to improve performance.
– vCenter Server Applaince (VCSA) 6u1 has several improvements such as:
- The VAMI UI accessible using port 5480 and a PSC dedicated configuration UI.
- vCenter Update Manager (VUM) fully supported in the Web Client.
Good blog with information on new PSC improvements:
– Log Insight, is an old VMware product, but there is some improve on the reporting view with the integration with vRealize and VMware highly recommend this tool as the centralized logging tool.
– VSAN 6.1 came up on with the announcement (need to update vCenter and vSphere host to version 6 update 1)
- Stretch cluster support with the use of a witness appliance or witness host (custom esxi image is needed)
- Witness host need license if it is installed on a physical host, no license needed if is a nested host (host will have a blue color instead a regular gray color)
- Witness host is used only for witness and should be used as part of the Pools of resource
- Witness shouldn’t part of the vSAN cluster.
- Also there is a need for leverage everything on L2, so it is recommended to have NSX solution
- New licensing for vSAN 6.1 standard and enterprise (Hybrid and All Flash respectively in version 6.0)
- Stretch cluster required vSAN enterprise license
Note: With the announcement of vSAN 6 last year, there were improvement on the file system type with the acquisition. There is a upgrade for the file system from vSAN 5.5 to vSAN 6.x.
Some good blog regarding vSAN 6.1 and stretch cluster:
vSAN 6.1 white paper:
This is summary for the VMware white paper of vSAN 6.1 with step by step view:
– SRM 6.0 as a DR orchestrator
- VMware advised used of vsphere replication and NSX
- vSphere replication: the advance of using vsphere replication is to leverage all the replication from the Primary site to the DR site, without the need to be aware of the storage or different API for the differents vendors
- NSX: for the migration of the Primary site to DR site without the need to changes IP Address, since the Logical Switch and DLR across both side will manage mac address table and Routing, making the migration more seamless for the end user.
– Evo Rails: something that was mention on previous year VMworld is the Evo Rail and the evolution to a EvoRack , VMware is working on racks solution that could provide to the customers, with the easily and smooth deploy platform of EvoRail and with this get a full integration with NSX.